Jutland! Space times.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jutland! Space times.

Do stuff in space.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Rumour: "Some say the bird isn't actually a pilot."
Episode 4 is Today
RUMOUR: "Speaking of feathers, there's been a sudden increase in the amount of feather pillows available. Weird"
Rumour: I hear Cortez has the penguin's sidearm stashed away somewhere.

Space natural catastrophes

Go down 
+5
Dalla
2nd Object
CosmicCommander
Dark_Knight
Fr3aKaZ0!D
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Fr3aKaZ0!D
Petty Officer First Class
Fr3aKaZ0!D

Space natural catastrophes Empty
PostSubject: Space natural catastrophes   Space natural catastrophes I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 5:56 am

I am thinking black holes, Suns going supernova, Meteor field/rain, dangerous gas clouds of unknown substances, etc. That could be some fun mini-events for traveling
Back to top Go down
Dark_Knight
Narrative Development Administrator
Dark_Knight

PostSubject: Re: Space natural catastrophes   Space natural catastrophes I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 9:30 am

Black Holes are fun Very Happy
Back to top Go down
CosmicCommander
CosmicCommander

PostSubject: Re: Space natural catastrophes   Space natural catastrophes I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 9:51 am

We're probably going to really be cranking up the hazards after Episode 2; right now, we're focusing on making sure everyone can find their feet.
Back to top Go down
2nd Object
Petty Officer Third Class
2nd Object

PostSubject: Re: Space natural catastrophes   Space natural catastrophes I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 9:55 am

I got that shit, no worries. Once I get a chance to actually get on the server, I'll try and work up some interesting - and relevant - astronomical events to suggest to the admins. I'd like to say it comes with the job, but I'm still not quite sure what the job is.
Back to top Go down
Dalla
Petty Officer Second Class
Dalla

PostSubject: Re: Space natural catastrophes   Space natural catastrophes I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 1:02 pm

Two words;

Solar-Storm.
Back to top Go down
Rhydain
Rhydain

PostSubject: Re: Space natural catastrophes   Space natural catastrophes I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 3:00 pm

The thing about a lot of space bound natural disasters, is that they're easy to detect or avoid.
You'll have hours and hours before a decent sized solar storm hits your ship, Blackholes in normal space would produce event horizons, and in the parts of space where they'd be invisible, we'd fling past them at FTL speeds. Asteroid belts are pretty easily navigable, meteor showers shouldn't do much to a ship made for war, and hitting any space bound body would require you to actually TRY to hit it.

When you want an act of god Roleplay for our fair crew, I suggest you look internally. Atmoleak, Reactor breach, Tear in the hull, maybe even a fire aboard, and, perhaps, just perhaps, the Aircyclers dying.
Back to top Go down
Fuxx
Server Adminstrator
Fuxx

PostSubject: Re: Space natural catastrophes   Space natural catastrophes I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 3:14 pm

Black holes would actually be incredibly easy to spot with current technology, even in the endless sea of intergalactic space (if you believe in Hawking radiation).

While it's true that ships would be resistant enough to withstand colliding with some space clutter, it doesn't mean that we could cross vast asteroid fields without hitting one. Let's not forget about massive bodies, hundreds of times bigger than the ship itself. These rocks are far harder to detect if there's no light source reflecting them, and even then they'd probably be obfuscated by far brighter bodies.

Personally I've been wanting to do something related to what would be occurring outside the ship, and I might just do that.
Back to top Go down
Bospy
Bospy

PostSubject: Re: Space natural catastrophes   Space natural catastrophes I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 4:55 pm

Unless we were to somehow slipspace into a massive spacetime anomaly, it's going to be easy to spot any anomalies due to the fact we're in space and they don't just appear suddenly. Solar storms, nebulas, and star formations all last millions of years.
Back to top Go down
Stray
Stray

PostSubject: Re: Space natural catastrophes   Space natural catastrophes I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 5:32 pm

Maybe the ship's gravity could somehow be turned off... that would be somewhat fun, if it was possible, which I believe it is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Space natural catastrophes   Space natural catastrophes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Space natural catastrophes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jutland! Space times. :: Jutland :: Organised Events-
Jump to: