Jutland! Space times.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jutland! Space times.

Do stuff in space.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Rumour: "Some say the bird isn't actually a pilot."
Episode 4 is Today
RUMOUR: "Speaking of feathers, there's been a sudden increase in the amount of feather pillows available. Weird"
Rumour: I hear Cortez has the penguin's sidearm stashed away somewhere.

[Suggestion] Officer uniforms for enlisted crew members

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Faust
Petty Officer Second Class

[Suggestion] Officer uniforms for enlisted crew members Empty
PostSubject: [Suggestion] Officer uniforms for enlisted crew members   [Suggestion] Officer uniforms for enlisted crew members I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 11:56 pm

I may just be uninformed, but last I checked, the ranking structure of the Navy goes something like this:

Enlisted ranks:
  • E1 - Seaman Recruit
  • E2 - Seaman Apprentice
  • E3 - Seaman
  • E4 - Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • E5 - Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • E6 - Petty Officer 1st Class
  • E7 - Chief Petty Officer
  • E8 - Senior Chief Petty Officer
  • E9 - Master Chief Petty Officer

Commissioned ranks:
  • W2 - Chief Warrant Officer 2
  • W3 - Chief Warrant Officer 3
  • W4 - Chief Warrant Officer 4
  • W5 - Chief Warrant Officer 5
  • O1 - Ensign
  • O2 - Lieutenant (Junior Grade)
  • O3 - Lieutenant
  • O4 - Lieutenant Commander
  • O5 - Commander
  • O6 - Captain

The problem, as you can see, is that Jutland RP doesn't use a lot of the enlisted ranks: it only uses the petty officer sextet, as a matter of fact, and it skips the warrant officers entirely. This wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for the fact that the last three petty officer ranks - E7, E8, and E9, to be precise - are being assigned the red uniforms normally reserved for use by officers. This is problematic for several reasons: firstly, it makes it incredibly difficult to distinguish who is actually an officer; and secondly, there aren't that many PO1s, PO2s, and PO3s to begin with, so the ratio of officer uniforms to "regular" uniforms is skewed towards the officers.

I only say this because while I was playing today, nearly three-fourths of the crew were wearing an officer's uniform, and on numerous occasions, I found myself heading towards a red-suited figure thinking I was about to talk to an officer when, in fact, I found myself face-to-face with someone even lower-ranking than I was- and I'm only one step above Ensign.

I don't know what the rationale was for giving CPOs and above red-colored uniforms was - perhaps it had something to do with making heads of departments more visible? - but if today's roleplay was any indication, it's gone overboard. There are more people with officer uniforms than there are people with enlisted uniforms. There are nineteen people with regular uniforms. There are twenty-eight people with officer uniforms. If my suggestion is taken into consideration, the ratios would be fixed to a far-more-reasonable thirty-eight people with regular uniforms and nine people with officer uniforms- as it should be, in my opinion.

Of course, this whole debacle could be avoided if we used Tiramisu 2 like it was intended to be used.

Tiramisu 2 supports bodygroups, and so do the models we're using for uniforms. There's an awful lot of bodygroups to be used, actually- so why don't we put some of them to use? Select certain bodygroups to be used for CPO, SCPO, and MCPO - there are plenty to go around - and leave the default uniform for everyone else. Security can keep its red uniforms, and its little vests and doo-dads, and officers can use what they're supposed to be using: the Combine officer models. Why do we even have those in the pack if nobody's using them?

Of course, these suggestions might all be moot, because I've only been here for one event- but my complaint/suggestion above the linebreak still stands. Even if we don't mess around with what job gets what model, the ratio of officer uniforms (that is, the red uniforms as they're being used now) to "regular" uniforms is horrifically skewed.
Back to top Go down
CosmicCommander
Narrative Development Administrator
CosmicCommander

PostSubject: Re: [Suggestion] Officer uniforms for enlisted crew members   [Suggestion] Officer uniforms for enlisted crew members I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 11:44 am

That's a good point; the entire thing has become a bit confusing even to me; originally the red and black officer's uniform was supposed to be given to just Officers. Then all the bridge crew got it, and then all the SCPOs+...

Yeah, we do need an overhaul. But for the technical things, we're gonna need Shadow in for this.
Back to top Go down
Faust
Petty Officer Second Class

PostSubject: Re: [Suggestion] Officer uniforms for enlisted crew members   [Suggestion] Officer uniforms for enlisted crew members I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 11:52 am

What are the Combine officer uniforms being used for?
Back to top Go down
DrJTheo
Petty Officer Third Class

PostSubject: Re: [Suggestion] Officer uniforms for enlisted crew members   [Suggestion] Officer uniforms for enlisted crew members I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 12:04 pm

Faustus wrote:
What are the Combine officer uniforms being used for?

Our shipboard security detachment.
Back to top Go down
ShadowDragon
Developer
ShadowDragon

PostSubject: Re: [Suggestion] Officer uniforms for enlisted crew members   [Suggestion] Officer uniforms for enlisted crew members I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 8:20 pm

The all-the-bridge-crew part seems fine to me. Anything after that is not.

And I'm sure that I don't have a hand in giving red uniforms to the normal crew.
Back to top Go down
https://jutland.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Suggestion] Officer uniforms for enlisted crew members   [Suggestion] Officer uniforms for enlisted crew members I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[Suggestion] Officer uniforms for enlisted crew members
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jutland! Space times. :: Admin Boards :: Suggestions & Complaints-
Jump to: