Jutland! Space times.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jutland! Space times.

Do stuff in space.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Rumour: "Some say the bird isn't actually a pilot."
Episode 4 is Today
RUMOUR: "Speaking of feathers, there's been a sudden increase in the amount of feather pillows available. Weird"
Rumour: I hear Cortez has the penguin's sidearm stashed away somewhere.

<:: Navigation Officer's Log ::>

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Choco McShreddy
Petty Officer Third Class
Choco McShreddy

<:: Navigation Officer's Log ::> Empty
PostSubject: <:: Navigation Officer's Log ::>   <:: Navigation Officer's Log ::> I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 9:58 pm

Entry One. Day One.

Forty-eight thousand light years from Sirius.

Okay, so I have my work cut out for me. I have been assigned to plot the route home and stop at a few systems on the way. This is relatively new space for Terran Radar Systems. So we're going to have to name a few places on the way. Some are in the database, but haven't been explored or examined. Might extend the possibility of some research missions if we have the time/manpower to spend.

I have calculated that there will be in total five planets within the habitable zone of their neighbouring star on our course towards Earth, three of these planet exhibit similar traits in atmospheric pressure and composition to those found on Earth, subtle alterations would show that these are not terraformed planets and their proximity to the stars limits life on the surfaces to be likely very primitive.

We are on the other side of the galaxy, this puts some interference in between us and where we need to go, this means I'm going to have to plot this and update continuously. It's likely that interference is reaching from the Super-massive Black Hole at the center of the Milky Way. This shouldn't pose much of a problem once we re-align ourselves into major spaceways and come within range of the UEN Data Satellite Network.

The current grid reference is SIERRA-DELTA;#202K-494Z. It is on the outer edge of the Gamma Quadrant, way behind Cretin and Human territories. So we shouldn't experience much trouble from intercepting Cretin fleets, unless they too got carried along with our jump. We'd have seen them by now though. No need to worry.

The first gridpoint on our journey is a star in the area SIERRA-DELTA;#202K-496X. This is just a few light years from our current position and is the most visible star in the sector. The star is small, smaller than Sol. The planets surrounding it are gas giants, they are dimly lit and spread out far. In total the radar has received signals from three gas-type planets. Most have several small satellites that seem to be similar to Mars' moon Phobos, dented and battered asteroids caught in the planet's gravity well. There is however one moon around the second planet in the system with a very thin atmosphere of Nitrogen and Argon. Surface life is minimal but it is possible that we may be able to scrounge some natural resources from the moon for the ship's various functions, it will take us approximately two days of journeying at full speed, though at the engine's current state that may be significantly longer. Exploration of these bodies will require atmospheric pressure suits.

The second gridpoint is a long journey away, it will take an extra week of travelling to arrive at the next system SIERRA-ECHO;#105T-303G. This is a binary star system and seems to exhibit some planets similar to those found in the Sol System. There are three gas giants, and nine rocky planets. Two of which are similar in atmosphere, distance from the star, and pressure to Earth. It is unknown whether these planets are capable of supporting life, we are too far at the current time. Further exploration and analysis will be required.

I will update as I add more gridpoints and potential stops, but it will be a full couple of weeks of journeying before we encounter UEN Satellites, or even pass near Cretin space. We are very, very far from home with a semi-functional ship. So it is unclear to say how long this will take.

Last edited by Choco McShreddy on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Choco McShreddy
Petty Officer Third Class
Choco McShreddy

<:: Navigation Officer's Log ::> Empty
PostSubject: Re: <:: Navigation Officer's Log ::>   <:: Navigation Officer's Log ::> I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 6:18 pm

Entry Two. Day Three.

It appears that in the midst of the chaos I actually managed to get some work done. Through some manner of good fortune it appears my quarters were unharmed from the damage, however I've not slept for 48 hours or so by now.

In my insomnia, I have managed to finish my calculations and input a correct course to the first star system on our journey, a system designated by UEN protocol; SIERRA-DELTA;#202K-496X. However, the Captain has found a more fitting name to be the Berui system, in memory of our fallen brother. It is located just less than a week's journey from our current location. In about three days from now we should be able to pull out of transit and see some light from the system's Class-G star. For those interested, that means the sun appears to be similar in size and luminosity to our own star back home in the Sol system. That should give some reassurance and comfort to members of the crew. Within I've added to the course a certain planet that I've taken some interest in.

The planet itself is about a third larger than the Earth and within the habitable zone. The Nitrogen/Argon mixture in the atmosphere appears to allow for some sort of atmosphere to be present and the surface shows to be rocky and solid enough to theoretically support a landing. We can conduct planetary scans once we reach the system and are in orbit. Potentially there may be Oxygen in the atmosphere too, but very little. This may require respirators in the event of exploration and other scavenging duties on the surface. I have confirmed a presence of liquid water on the planet surface however, as well as two polar caps much like Earth's. Scans will have to be conducted whilst in-orbit to conclude whether life has originated on this planet, it's possible, but the odds are in favour of microbial life-forms and very basic invertebrate lifeforms.

Either way, in three days we will be in orbit of the second planet of the Berui System, hereafter known as Berui-2 until a suitable name is found amongst the crew. It also has two moons, one rocky, similar to Earth's own moon, and another appears to be nothing but a large, beaten asteroid caught in the planet's outer orbit. It spins slowly, however it's orbit is rather fast, so we will need to constantly adjust the ship's position on approach. It's very likely we will have to land on the planet surface, hopefully the collapsible base and laboratory set-up hasn't been damaged in the jump.

There is a gas giant in the system also, about half a day's journey at full speed from Berui-2. This distance is about the same as a journey from Earth to Jupiter. It is the third of four planets in the system, and like our gas giants possesses many moons of varying orbital distance and composition. It won't be a necessary visit but we may be able to harvest some gases from the upper cloud density to fuel certain sections of the ship for perhaps two years at most, with approximately three years of storage for a full haul.

That is all my readings have confirmed for now, however I have no doubt that more will appear as we close in on the planet over the coming days.

Now for some well-deserved kip.

Out.
Back to top Go down

<:: Navigation Officer's Log ::>
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jutland! Space times. :: Jutland :: UEN Database-
Jump to: